Almeida Route

Escada Well

It appeared at the time of the War of Reconstruction (1640-1668) to ensure the supply of water to the population in case of need during the war years.


R. dos Quarteis 2, 6355


Quarteis Street 2, 6355

More points of interest

Historic Centre of Almeida

Shaped like a polygon, the area covered by the village is limited to the urban nucleus and the surrounding area of the ramparts, where there are bastions, fortifications, gates, casemates and moats. This huge military complex was built in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Castle ruins / Pólvora Armoury

The medieval castle, situated within the walls of the fortress of Almeida, was destroyed during the Third French Invasions in 1810, as a result of the violent explosion of the powder magazine. Only the ruins of the foundations remain.

Casamatas - Former Underground Prisons - Almeida Military Historical Museum

Located in the Casamates, it is an interactive multimedia space where the history of Portugal is reconstructed from medieval times to the contemporary era, with special emphasis on the Peninsular Wars and the siege of Almeida. It consists of 20 rooms and corridors once used for two purposes: peace and war. In times of war they served as military shelter and defence. In times of peace, it was used as a food store. It is also noted that it functioned for some years as a prison.

External Santo António Gates - Almeida Centre for the Study of Military Architecture (CEAMA)

CEAMA functions as an interpretation centre by means of explanatory and illustrative panels, and didactic materials that allow the visitor a visit with particular focus on military architecture; and as a centre of historical appreciation and support for research.

Picadeiro d'El Rey

The Picadeiro D' el Rey is a space dedicated to the practice of horseback riding, playing an important touristic role, by providing carriage rides or horse rides through the Historic Centre of Almeida and its respective walls, giving new dreams and new paths towards Equestrian Tourism.

Exterior gates of São Francisco

The Double Doors of San Francisco are among the most beautiful in the country and have a peculiar decoration. Both serve to guide the visitor, directing him to the Sala de Armas at the entrance to the Plaza-forte and to the Almeida History and Military Museum. In the case of the Magistral Gate, the bomb-proof covering with compartments for troops and officers stands out.

Almeida Main Church

It dates back to the 16th century and was the convent of the Third Regular Nuns of St. Francis, dedicated to Our Lady of Loreto, and also served as military barracks and hospital, until it became the Mother Church in 1810.

House of the Wheel of the Exposed - Museum Centre

This house dates back to the 19th century and played a fundamental social role in sheltering abandoned children. The "wheel" was a revolving mechanism where families left their children, ensuring the anonymity of the child and of the person delivering him/her.

Côa Bridge and Memorial

Bridge built in the 17th century by David Álvares, with 3 perfect arches that connect the two banks of the Côa River.

Castelo Mendo Historical Village

It is an old village of marked medieval features and is composed of two very distinct nuclei: the old village, of original foundation, composed of a castle, a church in ruins and traces of medieval town planning, all of them surrounded by a 12th century wall; and the new village, or Arrabalde de S. Pedro, protected by a wall built during the reign of D. Dinis, of marked gothic characteristics, and strongly affected by the 1755 earthquake.

Church of Santa Maria do Castelo

The building dates back to the late 12th to 13th century. In Romanesque and Gothic style, and with two walled areas, this church is part of what was an important defensive landmark in fights with Castile.

Castle Mendo's Town Gates

The Porta da Vila (Town Gate) is the main access to the village, which contrasts with the other village gates as it is flanked by two turrets that give it monumentality.

Castelo Bom Medieval Village

In Castelo Bom the defensive role played by the wall during the middle ages should be highlighted, allowing an arched door and a small tower to survive to the present day. There are still two 16th century houses next to the fortification.

Castelo Bom Castle ruins

The castle is medieval and gothic with a walled perimeter of irregular configuration. The castle stronghold has a cistern, the "Poço do Rei", and two 16th century wells.

Pillory of Castelo Bom

There is a granite pillory, of which nowadays only one stone exists, because the population tells us that in times of greater poverty, the castle and pillory were destroyed in order to rebuild their own houses.

Viewpoint of Castelo Bom

It is from this viewpoint that one can see the landscape of the rocky hills of the region, where the Barrocos hide, huge stones associated with legends: the Barroco da Picota resembles a bird; the Barroco das Lages seems to defy gravity in not falling and it is said that an enchanted Moor is hidden inside.

Alpendradas Houses

A group of houses along the streets of Castelo Bom, all with a common characteristic, the granite porch with cylindrical columns.

Chapel of St Joseph 'Wellington

This house is said to have belonged to Lord Wellington, who set up his barracks here during the French Invasions. It is symbolic of the façade on which are the coat of arms, the plaque and the moulded door.

Peace Frontier - Memorial to the Refugees and Consul Aristides de Sousa Mendes

This memorial is dedicated to the passage through Portugal of refugees fleeing the horrors of Nazism during World War II. It integrates six distinct nuclei:

-People like us

- The Beginning of the Nightmare

- The Journey

- Vilar Formoso

- Border of Peace

- In the Lands of Portugal

- The Departure

Fonte Santa Thermal Spa

It is a great destination to escape the stress of daily life, recharging your energy with the well-being that a thermal programme can offer.

Squadron Barracks

The monument with baroque features was commissioned by the Count of Lippe in the 18th century, bearing the Royal Coat of Arms, and served as Infantry Barracks.


This bandstand can be found in the village garden.

São João Manor House - Memorial House

Solar de São João da Praça was built in 1726 by one of the most important families of Riba Côa, Colonel of Infantry José Delgado Freire and D. Maria de Azevedo. Each room, with its collection, recreates authentic environments from the past of a military house. There are pieces for all tastes, materials and sizes that arouse curiosity due to their unprecedented decorative arts in Portugal.

Doble Bastion

Of Vauban influence, it is considered one of the most perfect bastions built in the 18th century. In 1658 the Blood Hospital was created here due to the high number of wounded that occupied the jail and the town hall.

25 de Abril Square

Largo 25 de Abril is outside the walls, next to the outer gates of São Francisco and is one of the most beautiful entrances to the historic centre of Almeida.

São Miguel Church

It is a 17th century church with Mannerist characteristics, enriched by the carved woodwork in the Baroque style and the existence of frescoes in panels on the ceiling.

Padre José Pinto Museum

This museum has a vast collection of liturgical objects, pottery and country life. It also serves as a space for painting exhibitions and others.

Malhada Sorda Esnoga

The building that is popularly called the Esnoga (also the Clock House) dates back to the 16th century and it is possible that it once served as a secret synagogue. However, it is totally devoid of the elements traditionally associated with a synagogue, as inside it looks like an ordinary dwelling house, but this could be to deter the inquisitors.

Eduardo Lourenço Square

Memorial allusive to the essayist from São Pedro do Rio Seco, Eduardo Lourenço.

Country Houses Pátio Da Caetana

Houses of Corro and Cidadela

Hotel Lusitano

Casa do Ti Messias

Casa dos Poços

Turpino House

MULAGUETA Rural Tourism

Casa do Vale da Mula

Casa do Forno

Cantinho D'Aldeia

Quinta do Prado Verde - Rural Tourism

Welllington Restaurant

Restaurant O Caçador

Quinta do Prado Verde Restaurant


Talmeyda Restaurant

Chalé Suisse

The Soul Swing

An ideal place to appreciate Almeida's beautiful landscapes.

Almeida Clock Tower

The tower stands out in the urban landscape, due to its vertical volumetry, and the architectural style combines the sobriety of Neoclassicism with the exoticism of the Baroque.

Vilar Formoso Train Station

This train station is distinguished by its iconic architectural features that reflect the local past.

Santa Maria do Castelo Church

The ruins of this old church impress by their beauty and landscape.