Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo Route

Quinta da Ponte da Barca - Rural Tourism


Quinta da Ponte 6440-075 Barca D'Alva


Ponte Farm 6440-075 Barca D'Alva



TEL. (+351) 926578338

More points of interest

Marofa Mountain

A breathtaking natural viewpoint.

Colmeal Countryside Hotel

Restaurant Taverna da Matilde

Restaurant A Cerca

Restaurant O Lagar do Douro Superior

Falcão de Mendonça Inn

Casas do Villar - Côa & Douro House

Casas de Villar - Laja House

Terra D' Alva - House in the Douro National Park

Retiro do Rodeiras Lodging

Casa da Amendoeira

Colmeal Countryside Hotel

Casa da Cisterna

Rural Tourism Hotel Falcão de Mendonça

Convento de Santa Maria de Aguiar Lodging

Casa de Rocamador

Casa Mikwéh

Historic Centre of Castelo Rodrigo

It is an authentic monumental space where it is important to highlight the old walls, the ruins of the Palace of Cristóvão de Moura, the five hundred year old pillory, the main church, the medieval cistern and the vestiges that confirm the existence of New Christians.

Castle of Castelo Rodrigo

It is the most important monument of military architecture in the municipality. The exact date of its construction is not known, but it is thought to date from before the 1209 charter of Afonso IX of León. The fortification has undergone many alterations over the years and it was after the reforms of King Dinis that the castle was surrounded by a barbican, which meant that access to the inside of the fortress had to be made via an enclosed route. King Manuel I ordered the restoration of the walls again after some years, and it was only in 1922 that this monument was recognised as a National Monument. It underwent its final restoration in 1940.

Pillory of Castelo Rodrigo

Pillory consisting of five steps, an octagonal shaft with a quadrangular base and a cage-like pinna. It was probably erected in the 16th century and presents characteristics of Manueline architecture.

Monastery and Church of Santa Maria de Aguiar

A Cistercian monastery, it is a fine example of early Gothic architecture, with simplistic elements that well characterise the sobriety of the buildings occupied by the Cistercian Order. Although badly damaged by the French invasions, the church with baroque high altar still remains, with the monks' wing, the sacristy and the Chapter hall still preserved, a dining hall wall and the guesthouse building.

Battle of Castelo Rodrigo Interpretation Centre

The Batalha de Castelo Rodrigo Interpretation Centre aims to honour and pay homage to the ancestors and revive the memory of one of the most decisive and important military events of the War of Restoration, the Battle of Castelo Rodrigo.

It has six centers where the visitor, through new technologies and testimonies, can understand the path to the dynastic union, learn about the main personalities of the restoration, get to know the history of the War of Restoration, the Battle of Castelo Rodrigo and has a Weapons Room.

Ephraim Bueno Interpretation Centre

The history of the Jewish presence in the county is now inventoried and documented in this interpretive centre, named in honour of Ephraim Bueno, a Jew born in Castelo Rodrigo, who was a doctor, physicist and writer with great relevance at the court of the Netherlands.

Côa Valley Archaeological Park - Afonsinho Valley nucleus

It consists of a rock shelter formed by the displacement and collapse of large granite blocks. Here, an engraving of an animal (aurochs) was identified by etching and abrasion.

Main Church of Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo

Dating from the 18th century, it has some Romanesque features and a Baroque façade. It has a choir, unique in Portugal, which is based on an arch consisting of 26 S-shaped stones, except for the central one which resembles a heart. The main altar is embellished with baroque carvings and the 16th century image of St. Vincent stands out in particular.

Francisco Távora Museum of Arts and Crafts - House of Culture

Versatile space with an exhibition room, auditorium and meeting room and also the Municipal Library, reprography and internet space. Here occasional events take place, such as exhibitions, theatres and cinema.

Observation Point of Christ the King of Marofa

Miradouro do Cristo Rei or the Observation Point of Christ the King of Marofa has views that seem to reach infinity. At the top of the observation point there is an imposing image (6 metres high) of Cristo Rei da Marofa, and the simple Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Fátima.

Interpretation Centre of Torre de Almofala

A tower of Roman foundation, originally used as a temple, the Torre de Almofala is probably a Romanesque vestige from the 10th century. An interpretative centre has been created that relies on new technologies to divulge the history and where the findings of archaeological excavations are displayed.

Escalhão Parish Church

Dedicated to Our Lady of the Angels, this fortress-like 16th century church has a classical doorway with simple decorative elements, a chancel, a handmade vaulted ceiling and Baroque gilded woodcarvings.

Alto da Sapinha Viewpoint

The Alto da Sapinha viewpoint combines the waters of the Douro, the cliffs and rocks of the Águeda River up to its mouth and the majestic flight of the griffon vultures in a single landscape. The view is further enriched by the terraces, olive groves, almond trees and orchards on the Portuguese side and by the Iberian plateau, in the lands of Salamanca and Zamora, on the Spanish side.

Clock Tower of Castelo Rodrigo

In the walled structure of Castelo Rodrigo, a bell tower was added, which originally had a hammer clock with granite weights.

Roman Temple of Almofala

The name Almofala has an Arabic origin, meaning "camp". Inserted in a valley and with the Águeda River separating it from Spain, Almofala was attractive to various peoples. The Roman presence is clearly visible in the tower .